OLYMPIA – The Senate Democratic Caucus on Monday voted to confirm committee membership and leadership positions ahead of the 2021 Legislative session.
“I am proud of the work Senate Democrats have done in putting people first in recent years,” said Senate Majority Leader Andy Billig (D-Spokane). “The pandemic has challenged our state like never before and this upcoming session will be unlike any other. I am confident that we have the team to meet these challenges head on and do our part in helping all Washingtonians battle back stronger than before.”
Key changes to committees include the following:
- Sen. June Robinson (D-Everett) joins Sen. David Frockt (D-Seattle) as a Vice Chair of Ways & Means.
- Sen. Lisa Wellman (D-Mercer Island) joins Ways & Means.
- Sen. Claire Wilson (D-Auburn) joins Rules.
- Issues concerning local government will now be under the jurisdiction of the newly combined Housing & Local Government Committee.
Key changes to leadership include:
- Sen. Emily Randall (D-Bremerton) becomes Majority Whip.
- Sen. Mona Das (D-Kent) becomes Majority Caucus Vice Chair.
- Sen. Joe Nguyen (D-White Center) becomes Asst. Majority Caucus Floor Leader
- Sen. Steve Hobbs (D-Lake Stevens) joins Sen. Steve Conway as Vice President Pro Tempore.
- Sen. Derek Stanford (D-Bothell) will fill the new position of Leadership Liaison to Tribal Communities.
- Sen. Mark Mullet (D-Issaquah) will fill the new position of Leadership Liaison to the Business Community.
For a complete list of committees and committee assignments, click here. The 105-day 2021 Legislative Session is scheduled to begin on Jan. 11. During that first day, the full Senate will vote on confirmation of committee structure and membership.
The 2021 session will largely be conducted virtually with committee hearings held on the Zoom platform. Members of the public interested in participating should check www.leg.wa.gov for the latest information. Legislative hearings are streamed live on TVW.org and also recorded and available to view in TVW’s archive.