Washington’s transportation sector is a crucial aspect of everyday life for residents across the state. As the chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, I started the 2022 session aware that significant investments were needed to ensure as many residents as possible could access our transportation services and safely get where they need to go.
Move Ahead Washington is the culmination of years of work and community input, and invests in every corner of the state without punting the cost to working families. It signals a turning point in transportation investments in Washington.
You can read more about Move Ahead Washington here, but some highlights include:
- Folks 18 and under ride free on all public transportation
- $5.4 billion towards carbon reduction and multimodal expansion
- $2.4 billion to fund fish passage barrier removals
- $3 billion for maintenance and preservation.
- $3 billion for public transportation.
- $150 million towards ultra-high-speed rail.
The most environmentally friendly transportation package in Washington State history, Move Ahead Washington priorities the everyday needs of Washingtonians while working to mitigate harm to the climate. Investments in public transportation will expand the statewide network of services and increase options for riders.